Mastertemp 400 cycling on and off no error codes
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted

Hi,

I just replaced my mastertemp 400 natural gas heater, and when turned on via screenlogic for either pool or spa heating the unit cycles on and off firing for approximately one minute, then off (unit still on, mode light lit, heating light blinking) for approximately one minute, then firing again for a minute...., over and over as long as heat is called for. No error lights on the front or rear of the control panel during this time.

What avenue should I be pursuing to troubleshoot this?

Thanks
Chuck Spillman

Please Sign In to post comments
Richard's picture
Tech, Pentair
It's more than likely that
Richard's picture
Tech, Pentair
Posted

It's more than likely that the thermal regulator (thermostat) may not be opening in which causes the exhaust temperature to increase to close to 500 degrees, other issues could be either the stack flue sensor is not reading correctly or the main circuit board.

Hi Richard... Thanks for your
Posted

Hi Richard... Thanks for your reply. Sopme additional information: The old heater was doing this as well, and in troubleshooting it, I discovered the manifold bolts were rusted to the point the heads were impossible to turn... that combined with the age of the old unit (8+ years) contributed to my decision to just replace the entire unit. This unit is literally BRAND NEW. So I am pretty sure nothing is the matter with the unit. Would a failing gas regulator possibly cause this behavior? I have a step down gas regulator probably 20 feet from the unit, and it makes a loud "tick" noise when the heater stops firing.

Richard's picture
Tech, Pentair
The gas regulator would not
Richard's picture
Tech, Pentair
Posted

The gas regulator would not cause this issue, this would be more in relation to the water chemistry condition and history of chemistry as well. Once a heater fires for at least 10 seconds or so, gas would possibly not be a factor, you may want to call one of our technicians at 1-800-831-7133 for a more detailed conversation to verify the issue.