Pentair 520555 IntelliChlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator Cell Red Low Salt Light on, Salt measures at 3700 ppm
7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted

We have a Pentair 520555 IntelliChlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator Cell we purchased last April 15, 2014. Unit has worked well until this past week when after returning from trip we found the low salt light on and pool slightly green. I tested the water and found salt was not low, but in fact slightly high at 3700 ppm using test strips. I had water rechecked with saltwater Hydrometer as well as a trip to Pool Supply for testing where it was measured at 3700 ppm.

I have used the Pentair Acid cleaning kit we purchased along with the Generator (used every 2 months previous as well) along with specified Acid mixture. I did not notice any Electrolytic Cell scale buildup. After initial cleaning this time the light returned to a "GREEN" Good Salt level status on panel and Cell light came on along with Sanitizer output lights.

The following day the Red Low Salt light returned, and as noted, salt level still measured at 3700 ppm.

This is the 2nd unit we have purchased, counting the original unit purchased at new pool purchase/installation in 2010. This was purchased along with a Pentair EasyClean Filter Assy, and Intelliflow Pump. We also use a Polaris pump and Pool Cleaner.

Please help with a solution!

Sincerely,

David

Please Sign In to post comments
Richard's picture
Tech, Pentair
To begin with, you will need
Richard's picture
Tech, Pentair
Posted

To begin with, you will need to get a full water analysis done on your water and make sure that all chemical levels are within range (see page 10). If all is checking out in range, contact us at 1-800-831-7133 for further assistance.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/IntelliChlorElectronicChlorineGenerator5...

Richard "the Pentair repair
Posted

Richard "the Pentair repair tech" should be ashamed to represent the company like this. Every IC-40 post related to this low salt reading issue, Richard responds with the same answer which is no help at all. Richard...we have all tested the water before turning to this site. I have replaced my IC-40 3 times in 6 years, each time because the cell detects the salt level to be more than 1000 ppm less than actual. Clearly, there is a quality issue which is why they don't answer the phone. If you get an answer, they'll tell you warranty has expired and you need to buy a new one for $700-$800. The quality and reliability of these Pentair sanitizers is awful.

Richard "the Pentair repair
Posted

Richard "the Pentair repair tech" should be ashamed to represent the company like this. Every IC-40 post related to this low salt reading issue, Richard responds with the same answer which is no help at all. Richard...we have all tested the water before turning to this site. I have replaced my IC-40 3 times in 6 years, each time because the cell detects the salt level to be more than 1000 ppm less than actual. Clearly, there is a quality issue which is why they don't answer the phone. If you get an answer, they'll tell you warranty has expired and you need to buy a new one for $700-$800. The quality and reliability of these Pentair sanitizers is awful.

I've had the exact same
Posted

I've had the exact same problem, which I've read WAY too many posts about online on other sites. Looks like a defect in the Intellichlor IC40, and it's incredibly frustrating that the expensive cell has only a 1 year warranty. If anyone has ideas about how to get the cell replaced after the expiration of the warranty, I'd appreciate hearing them, because I've been working on fixing this issue for months with multiple pool professionals and retail pool stores. All say it's a cell failure. I'm terribly frustrated and disappointed. All my pool chemical levels are within range.

I'm having exactly same
Posted

I'm having exactly same problem with my IC20 and it is only 8 months old. Has anyone found a solution?

Had the same issues with my
Posted

Had the same issues with my salt system and replacement cells. For me, the cost and hassle weren't worth it. Ended up going with an https://oxygenpools.com chlorine free system, for about the cost of the replacement cell and haven't had any issues.