Everything You Need to Know About Your Pool’s Water Chemistry
Making sure your pool’s chemicals are in check is the key to creating a fun and safe environment for your family. Besides preventing skin and eye irritation, balanced water chemistry also helps prevent dangerous bacteria and algae growth.
While the amount may vary for your pool, there are three main chemical levels you want to monitor. They are:
- pH: pH is a unit of measure used to describe the level of acidity in the water (or liquid) that is being measured. If the pH is lower than 7, it is considered acidic. Water with a pH greater than 7 is considered basic. For pool owners, you should focus on remaining in the neutral range, that’s where you’re not acidic or basic. The ideal pH for your pool should be about 7.4.
- Alkalinity: Going hand-in-hand with pH, the alkalinity is the measurement of the alkaline substances present in your pool. Having a balanced alkalinity is important because water that is too basic (high pH) will inhibit pH changes.
- Chlorine: Chlorine is the most common pool chemical and it’s used to destroy both bacteria and solid waste such as dirt particles. This chemical is applied through specialized chlorinators that help clean the water and give your pool its crystalline appearance.
There are different elements that affect the chemical levels of your pool, encouraging the growth of algae and bacteria. This is what ultimately affects the chemical levels. Foreign elements can start a chain reaction that completely throws off your pool’s chemistry.
So what are some of the elements that can affect your pool chemistry?
- Leaves and miscellaneous debris
- UV light
- Usage frequency
- Algae and other biological factors
- Calcium hardness
If you’re now wondering how you’re supposed to keep your water chemistry constantly monitored, fear not! Thanks to the recent technological advancements, monitoring your pool pH and other chemical levels is very simple. You can now monitor and manage your pool’s water chemistry remotely.
As your partner in smart, sustainable water solutions. For Life. Pentair offers several different systems to help you take control of your pool. The IntelliConnect™ Control and Monitoring System and IntelliCenter® Control System are two of Pentair’s newest systems to help you automate your pool. If you already have automation, adding the ScreenLogic2® Interface can help you monitor your pool’s water chemistry all from your mobile device. If you’re looking for more control over your chemicals, you may want to add the IntelliChem® Water Chemistry Controller. It allows you to automate your chemicals, maintaining precise water balance and it syncs with ScreenLogic for simple use.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to your local pool professional if you have questions regarding your water chemistry. They will also be able to help you determine which Pentair automation system is right for your pool.